The company listed 19 zip codes in area cities that may qualify for the fiber-optic services that boasts Internet speeds of 50 megabits per second and a slate of the most HD channels nationwide. But as I mentioned in the original post, this doesn’t mean that EVERYONE who lives in those zip codes can order FiOS TV and Internet service. Jon Davies, with Verizon, offered the zip codes to help readers, not frustrate them.
“I was hoping it would help readers get a better sense of where we are — I didn’t mean to cause frustration! But, as you know, the biggest challenge we’ve always had with FiOS is making it available to everyone who wants it,” Davies said.
So, to help clarify availability in those zip codes, I’m listing reasons why you may not be able to order FiOS for your home.
1. You live on the wrong side of the zip code. Zip codes don’t conform to the boundaries of Verizon’s footprint so some customers in these areas may be AT&T customers. Verizon is targeting its existing wired telephone base first before it expands outside its territory.
2. You’re part of the 52 percent in Verizon territory who can’t order service. Verizon hasn’t deployed fiber everywhere in its footprint, so that may be why some residents can’t get FiOS. In its last earnings report, Verizon said that 48 percent of people living within the Verizon service area (typically those who can order landline phone service from Verizon) — or 12.2 million premises — can now order FiOS capable. But of those, only 24.5 percent of potential customers do. That penetration rate, however, continues to grow. Last year, it was 20.8 percent. (Read the earlier story, “48% of people served by Verizon can order FiOS but most don’t.”) It’s also looking less likely that the remaining 52 percent will ever be able to order FiOS as the company has put expansion plans on hold in many cities nationwide. But we’ll have to wait for the company’s next update.
3. You live in an apartment or condo. Verizon is stepping up an effort to win over landlords and condo associations. Without them, there’s no way those residents can order FiOS. Here’s an older story about the topic, “Verizon FiOS TV heavily targeting apartments, condos in O.C. and more.” If you are a tenant, you should check with the owners. My personal story? I rent and asked my condo’s owner to check with the board for FiOS. The next thing I know, I’m getting free Showtime and a digital box from Time Warner Cable. The cable provider is just as aggressive with keeping existing customers.
4. Verizon’s FiOS availability database is not up to date. Verizon hasn’t confirmed this but I’ve had complaints from readers who plugged in their phone number or address to check availability and were told they live in Menifee, Ca. Or were told it wasn’t available even though a neighbor just ordered it. I suggest calling Verizon and getting someone on the line to verify whether you can get FiOS or not. That number is 1-888-591-6076.
More reasons? Comment below. I’ll add to the list. Thanks!
More on Verizon FiOS: